This page puts together interesting and inspiring organizations, people, social experiments (such as the Washington Post exercise when they had a famous violinist play in a Washington D.C. metro subway), advertising campaigns etc.
- Development Alternatives Group – a non-profit that works to create sustainable livelihoods
- Drishtee Foundation- Providing ICT-based solutions to rural India
- Stree Mukti Sangathana – a women’s upliftment NGO that does some amazing work with rag pickers in Mumbai
- A famous classical musician plays in a metro subway and garners no attention
- A most unusual ad campaign
- An Italian classic in Punjabi hands – Parmesan cheese in Lombardy, Italy is apparently made by Sikhs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frOl9mO7q6o A related fact – a place called Novellara, in the Lombardy region, is home to Europe’s second largest gurudwara.
- “What Could You live without?” – Be grateful that you have enough to give, said some one wise who I know well, once. I was reminded of that this morning by this article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/opinion/24kristof.html
- “Play to Learn” – A great article on primary schools and playschool curriculums- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/opinion/02engel.html